Dear Big Brand,
You say you want to use social media to engage, grow your business and build community. You say you care… BUT WE DON’T BELIEVE YOU. Why you ask?
- You say you care but you rarely follow anyone back on Twitter that follows you
- You say you care on Twitter and Facebook but you send us back to the customer call center – you know… the one that started the problem in the first place.
- You say you care but you rarely say thank you when we say good things about you on our blog
- You say you care but your senior executives have never actually ever Tweeted or posted anything to Facebook, it’s obvious they think it’s below them
- You say you care but your Facebook page is full of links to your marketing materials and events and isn’t about how you can help me
- You say you care but even when I comment on your Facebook updates or blog posts you never comment back – you just keep score.
- You say you care but you got me interested in what you had to say on your blog and then you stopped posting
- You say you care but you make me wait days before my blog comments are approved – I’m long gone by then
- You say you care but even when I like your content it’s hard to share, you make me cut, paste, shrink urls and even write the headlines to your content
- You say you care but your onsite staff don’t even know you have a Facebook contest, FourSquare mayor or a Twitter account. They think I’m speaking a foreign language.
- You say you care that today’s consumer uses social media to communicate, build community and make connections – but your actions say YOU DON’T.
Dear Big Brands – marketing is a conversation now. Social media has opened up the channels for communication, collaboration, and customer interaction. We are not waiting for you to get involved in the conversation. It is already happening.
(On behalf of all of us)